Tuesday 28 March 2017

Interview: CLARA BOND, C2C Country 2 Country 2017


If you’ve not yet heard of up-and-coming singer songwriter Clara Bond, I’m making it my job to change just that. I caught up with the 23 year old Devon native after her incredible few sets at Country 2 Country 2017 to discuss playing to big crowds, John Mayer, new EPs and more!

Ciara’s Country (CC): First of all, could you introduce yourself to us? A fun fact that no one knows about you would be an added bonus too!

Clara Bond (CB): Hi everyone, my name is Clara and I've failed my driving test 4 times. I think it's 4. It could be 5 and I've just lost count. Still going though! 

CC: So this was your first year at C2C – how did you find the festival?

CB: Ah it was just amazing. Obviously performing was the best feeling ever, but on top of that, the whole atmosphere was so great and everyone is so lovely. I mean it! Not just the audience but the acts are so lovely too! No divas! Everyone who was working backstage was in such a good mood too because all the acts were so nice to work with. I laughed so much over that festival that I had smile creases in my makeup! 

CC: I caught you playing to a massive crowd in the Town Square and heard you pulled big audiences every time you were playing – what was that like?

CB: It was pretty mind blowing. It's just the best feeling to be welcomed by such a large amount of people that are so committed to country music. I saw someone in the audience singing my songs back to me and was so taken aback I nearly forgot the lyrics. I can't take all the credit though, my band are phenomenal. It's an incredible thing to be able to share that experience with 4 of your best friends. 

CC: Being a big John Mayer fan, I loved your cover of Love On The Weekend – how did you decide that that would be a good song to countrify?

CB: Oh John. Sweet, sweet John. I heard that song for the first time through my phone speakers at about 4am after a drink or 3 and immediately picked up my guitar and started playing along to it. Sometimes a song just hits you and you immediately love it after one listen. I knew it would sound great countrified because it's quite guitar lead and is a great story. At the end of the day, country music is all about telling stories through great melodies and hooks. 

CC: So you’re out supporting your Out of Towners EP – can you tell me a bit about the creative process behind your songwriting? 

CB: I have these little Kate Spade notebooks that I write my songs in. I usually have an idea running around my head for a couple of days before I actually sit down to start turning it into a song. I always start writing on a guitar and I just play with the melodies until I get something strong enough that I still remember it when I get up to make a cup of tea.

CC: Is there a song that’s been particularly interesting for you to write?

CB: Love Can't Stay was the most complex one I've ever written. I started writing it on the flight from Austin to Seattle and it's about the guy I was visiting in Austin. I had so much to say that I didn't want to waste a single word. I was always changing the lyrics. I found it so hard to settle on it as I needed to use that song to create my own closure as I never got any from him. I wanted that song to be the only song I ever had to write about him. I rewrote the second verse in front of the mic as we recorded it. Nothing like last minute eh? 

CC: You’ve got a lot of gigs lined up over the next few months – what’s touring life like for you?

CB: Actually it's the best part of my job. I get to travel around the country with my best friends playing music I love to amazing people. The only problem is that I'm the smallest one in the band so I always get the middle seat and it sucks! But obviously, I can't do the driving. 

CC: In terms of the country music genre as a whole, is there one artist out there who you think is currently underrepresented and deserves more recognition?

CB: Maren Morris. I saw her at C2C and was blown away. She's so great and she's definitely created her own sound that is uniquely hers. That's what every artist ultimately wants to achieve. 

CC: And finally, (don’t think too much!) what’s one question you wish you were asked in interviews, but never have been?

CB: I can't actually think of one! It's more of a general thing, but I like it when people ask me about the lyrics themselves. Like the meaning behind them or what my favourite lyric is. 

CC: Can you answer that for me?

CB: I think my favourite lyrics are the chorus of Love Can't Stay. The line "Too much time and space drifts a love the wrong way, till the distance decides that Love Can't Stay" is probably my favourite. 

CC: That’s all my questions for now, thank you for taking the time to answer them! I look forward to seeing you on tour soon!

If you enjoyed this interview, make sure you check out Clara on Twitter @ClaraBondSongs, and stay tuned for future interviews by following me @CiarasCountry!

No comments:

Post a Comment